[Cuis] Reconstructing Vectorised Photographic Images - ID47879.pdf

Ken G. Brown kbrown at mac.com
Thu Dec 13 11:58:06 CST 2012

In case this might be of interest...

<http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/12/12/204241/vector-vengeance-british-claim-they-can-kill-the-pixel-within-five-years>

<http://eprints.gla.ac.uk/47879/1/ID47879.pdf>

RECONSTRUCTING VECTORISED PHOTOGRAPHIC IMAGES
J.W. Patterson*, C.D. Taylor
†
, P.J. Willis
††
*
University of Glasgow, UK , jwp at dcs.gla.ac.uk
†
University of Heriot-Watt, UK, C.D.Taylor at hw.ac.uk
††
University of Bath, UK, P.J.Willis at bath.ac.uk
Abstract
We address the problem of representing captured images in
the continuous mathematical space more usually associated
with certain forms of drawn (‘vector’) images. Such an image
is resolution-independent so can be used as a master for
varying resolution-specific format
s. We briefly describe the
main features of a vectorisi
ng codec for photographic images,
whose significance is that drawing programs can access
images and image components as
first-class vector objects.
This paper focuses on the problem of rendering from the
isochromic contour form
of a vectorised image and
demonstrates a new fill algorithm which could also be used in
drawing generally. The fill method is described in terms of
level set diffusion equations for
clarity. Finally we show that
image warping is both simplified and enhanced in this form
and that we can demonstrate real histogram equalisation with
genuinely rectangular histograms.

   Ken G. Brown