[Cuis] ProcessSpecificVariable and DynamicVariable

Germán Arduino garduino at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 07:10:00 CST 2012

Hi Juan:

As I don't follow anymore Pharo (nor Squeak neither) I don't have in mind
that these were recent additions, I felt as if they were on place from a
long time.

But yes, they are in Squeak too, the class comment of Dynamic Variable says:

My subclasses are dynamic variables: each subclass represents a variable
whose value persists inside the block passed to #value:during:. There is
no way to change the value inside such a block, but it is possible to
temporarirly rebind it in a nested manner.

and the comment of ProcessSpecificVariables says:

My subclasses (not instances of them) keep state specific to the current
process.

There are two kinds of process-specific variables: process-local (state
available
for read and write in all methods inside the process), and dynamic variables
(implementing dynamic scope).

The #value:during: implementation is slightly different in both
(squeak/pharo).

In Zinc ZnConnectionTimeout inherit from DynamicVariable, but I can't find
other users in the Pharo image. In Squeak image there are no users!

Strange....