[Cuis] Telling GitHub that our code is Smalltalk

Angel Java Lopez ajlopez2000 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 07:04:50 CST 2012

I just found:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5318580/how-does-github-figure-out-a-projects-language

then

https://github.com/github/linguist

but I don't sure if it is used to classify a project. Is it used beyond
syntax highlighting?
Language detection

Linguist defines the list of all languages known to GitHub in a yaml
file<https://github.com/github/linguist/blob/master/lib/linguist/languages.yml>.
In order for a file to be highlighted, a language and lexer must be defined
there.

Most languages are detected by their file extension. This is the fastest
and most common situation.

For disambiguating between files with common extensions, we use a bayesian
classifier<https://github.com/github/linguist/blob/master/lib/linguist/classifier.rb>.
For an example, this helps us tell the difference between .h files which
could be either C, C++, or Obj-C.

and its issues:
https://github.com/github/linguist/issues