[Cuis] Compose a Cuis distribution from *.pck files? (was Re: [Fwd: Re: [squeak-dev] Squeaksource, Squeak and Pharo..])

Angel Java Lopez ajlopez2000 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 03:36:01 CST 2012

Hi people!

I don't know enough of Smalltalk (and its source code in file) to see the
best o better way of using GitHub. But I see in other technologies, used in
this way:

- Branch x is an experimental branch, on new or improved feature a. For
example, x == stm and the feature is a == Software Transactional Memory.
Eventually, the branch dissapears, or it is merged with the main one

- Branch x is for other platform. Some people uses branch in this way, or
eventually it fork another project. But this way of use is rare, AFAIK

- Branch x is an experimental branch, but born from an external pull
request. That is, some other author wrote a Software Transactional Memory
implementation, and then, the main author(s) of the central repo, accept
his/her contribution, but not in master yet, only to be testes and stressed
by all.

In forked repos, branches are used by the external contributor in the
following way. He/she has many ideas, fixes, issues it can resolved. Then,
forks the original repo, and not start to work DIRECTLY on this new fork.
Instead, he/she creates a branch FOR EACH idea, fix, bug solution, etc...
The branches are used like the patches in other systems. Author makes a
pull request to central repo, per branch. So, the central authors can
accept or reject by branch.

Regarding Juan question, about "elaborate", the above was about branch.
About tags, you can see in the Smalltalk GNU project the use of tags for
versions. That is the "standard" way on most technologies.

Angel "Java" Lopez
@ajlopez
github:ajlopez