[Cuis] The Isness (was Re: A few proposed is: additions)

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Wed Jun 13 11:34:50 CDT 2012

Hi Casey,

Casey Ransberger wrote:
> The E-Prime crowd is cringing and turning in their graves;)
>
> Okay, so I kind of like #is: too, but I don't think we need it in the core.
>
> Phil, if I understand you correctly, you want to a) use #is: and b) port packages that depend on #is:

Well, #is: is specific for Cuis. Other Squeak derivatives use #is*. As I
just said in another email, I think that 'missing' #is* method could go
in a compatibility package, with SmalltalkImage, SystemNavigation, and
other such foreign idioms.

> Great! Me too.
>
> Here's a crazy idea: (can anyone guess where I'm going with this?) why not create an external package that implements #is: and maintain it?
>
> It wouldn't be a lot of work to do (at least I don't think so) and it would be a model external package for Cuis: small, simple, elegant, providing aspects of compatibility AND useful functionality to be pulled in by interested third parties (like me!) who like using #is: once in awhile in other external packages.
>
> What do you think, Phil? Folks? I think it'd be really great as an example of how to make a simple external package for beginners.

I agree, if you mean #is* and not #is:, as #is: is used by Cuis
itself... Please clarify.

> My two cents:)
>

> All the love, people of Cuis!
>
> Casey