[Cuis] The Isness (was Re: A few proposed is: additions)

Phil (list) pbpublist at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 12:57:11 CDT 2012

Casey,

On Jun 13, 2012, at 3:40 AM, Casey Ransberger wrote:

> The E-Prime crowd is cringing and turning in their graves;)

OK, you got my interest... do tell!  (I'm not familiar with E-Prime)

> Okay, so I kind of like #is: too, but I don't think we need it in the core.
>
> Phil, if I understand you correctly, you want to a) use #is: and b) port packages that depend on #is:
>
> Great! Me too.

Assuming you meant a) #is: and b) #is*, yes

> Here's a crazy idea: (can anyone guess where I'm going with this?) why not create an external package that implements #is: and maintain it?
>
> It wouldn't be a lot of work to do (at least I don't think so) and it would be a model external package for Cuis: small, simple, elegant, providing aspects of compatibility AND useful functionality to be pulled in by interested third parties (like me!) who like using #is: once in awhile in other external packages.
>
> What do you think, Phil? Folks? I think it'd be really great as an example of how to make a simple external package for beginners.

As Juan said, if you meant #is*, I agree and my only question (in my previous message to Juan) is does it belong as part of a larger compatibility project or does it stand alone.

> My two cents:)
>

> All the love, people of Cuis!
>
> Casey

I definitely appreciate the discussion as I didn't want to go down the rabbit hole of implementing based on a bunch of my assumptions re: how this should work only to find out it only makes sense for me (without at least knowing that fact if it were the case).

Thanks,
Phil