[Cuis] Time to break Morphic?

Phil (list) pbpublist at gmail.com
Tue May 15 23:17:52 CDT 2012

Juan,

It's great to have a list to discuss all things Cuis!  And it couldn't have come at a better time.  Cuis 4.0 has inspired me to start thinking a little crazy so I wanted to put this out for some feedback....

One area that has been bugging me for a while is Morphic.  I the concept of it but one design decision has bothered me from the first time I used it: global coordinates.  Setting aside the question of whether or not this was the right way to go, it has a practical implication for something I've decided to take a whack at: graphics performance.  I've just started working on a plugin for hardware backed views that is a natural fit for a specialized type of Morph.  To do so in the most straightforward way, Morphs would need to be based on a local coordinate system.  Right now I'm thinking about whether to try to rework the existing Morphic structure in Cuis or create a parallel local coordinate-based class hierarchy and am interested in feedback re: the pros and cons of each approach.

I seem to recall you writing/speaking in favor of this in the past re: your Morphic rewrite project (how's that going BTW?) and wanted to get your thoughts as to whether local coordinate based Morphs would be something you'd like to see in Cuis.  If so, any pointers on things I should be thinking about / watching out for are appreciated.

Thanks,
Phil