[Cuis] Better Icons, Sounds, and ContentPack

Casey ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Fri May 18 16:34:30 CDT 2012

The current icons in Cuis are pulled from Tango (tango.freedesktop.org.)

They don't fit as well as they could. My favorite example is the icon used for workspaces; it looks like a unix terminal, which was (to my mind at least) the closest available glyph to the meaning of what a workspace in Smalltalk is about. But it's deceptive in that it suggests you're going to get a shell prompt.

I think what we have is *over all* better than the old icons. But...

I think we need better icons. If there are any artists in the room, some SVGs of more appropriate icons could really improve user experience a lot.

Which leads to the other thing. There's a work-in-progress in Cuis called ContentPack. It currently only deals with PNG IIRC, but the idea is: how do we get binary data into the system without breaking the change set update stream? In a sense, it's a bit of a hack, but it works. This is how we currently get icons in and out of Cuis.

The other feature is that it works the other way, providing a utility which can export e.g. all of the icons in a format that works with the tools that graphic designers use (and I can't wait until we switch everything in Cuis to SVG, either.)

My next goal for ContentPack is to support import of audio files via change set. I don't think the sounds we have presently really feel in parity with the default look. They sound kind of old and fuzzy. I guess my next goal should perhaps be to beautify the actual code, but I prefer to know more about things it might need to support before refactoring.

Figured I'd point out ContentPack in part because it's unique to Cuis.

Since it already supports images, it should be trivial to get e.g. background art in this way too.