[Cuis] assignment operator questions

Daniel Lyons fusion at storytotell.org
Wed May 23 13:29:14 CDT 2012

Thought I should ask since I don't think an official position has been
taken, and now seems like a better time to ask than after having
written a bunch of code.

In Cuis, _ is translated into ←, a left arrow, and this works as well
for assignments as :=. Similarly, ^ is translated into ↑, an up
arrow. I believe these behaviors originate in Smalltalk-80 and come to
Cuis via Squeak.

Pharo took the position that the underscore would be deprecated for
assignment, and typing it in a Pharo image produces an underscore
rather than a left arrow, and you must use := for assignment.
Similarly, the caret produces a caret, though it works for
returning values.

My questions:

 - Is Cuis taking a position on this issue?
 - Is Pharo compatibility affected by allowing this? Is that something
   we are concerned about?
 - Is it worth considering actual translation of these characters into
   their Unicode equivalents and enabling those instead? This raises
   other questions about Unicode compatibility as well.

Thanks,

--
Daniel Lyons