[Cuis] Time to break Morphic?

Phil (list) pbpublist at gmail.com
Fri May 18 22:21:21 CDT 2012

Juan,

On May 18, 2012, at 9:34 PM, Juan Vuletich wrote:

>> I've had a chance to take a quick look at the code and your notes and had a few quick questions/comments:
>>
>> 1) If I'm understanding the main work to be done for local coords, it looks like there are ~160 methods to be modified (senders of morphPosition, morphPosition:, bounds, bounds:)  Does that sound about right or am I missing part of the effort?
>>

> Essentially you're right, but see response to 2). In addition to that, we need to adjust coordinates appropriately when changing the owner of a morph, and stuff like that.

Got it.

>> 2) I'm not clear on your point re: 'the programmer needs to know who the owner is'... as long as the morph knows what morph it's contained in and can cascade call up the morph containment hierarchy to get an absolute position in owner, why does the programmer need to know or care?  I get why whoever creates the Morph needs to know the owner (i.e. to set it) but your statement seemed more general than that.
>>

> I apologize for not being clearer in the comments. They were meant just for myself, not to forget something, rather than explanations. The issue here is that I found code that did the following:
> 1) create some morph
> 2) position it somewhere on the Display (global coordinates)
> 3) set the owner
>
> This is completely broken if coordinates are local. When we set position we need to know relative to whom they are. In some places I changed it to set first the owner, then the position.

Makes sense to me and not a problem... I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something important.

>> 3) Also, I assume that there's a significance to your different flags such as #jmvVer2, #revisar etc... and I think I get what #revisarM3 is for but what about the others?
>>

> No real logic there :( . All I can say for sure is what I wrote at https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis/blob/master/ExperimentalUpdates/readme.txt

No problem... I do the same in my code :-)

>> 4) No problem re: comments in Spanish... Google translate makes that a non-issue :-)
>>

> Good to know!

¡Sí! :-)

>> I'm sure you've got other priorities than getting the local coord stuff done right now, but to make sure we're not duplicating effort would it make sense to have me start with classes starting with A and work down and you take the Z's  and work up where possible? (I haven't even begun to think about any interdependencies that might cause problems with that approach... it's just a top of head idea)
>>

> Well, I usually work with senders / implementors, and when I find some code pattern I need to fix, I try to understand it well enough, and then apply the ideas anywhere they are appropriate. If you limit yourself arbitrarily (i.e. alphabetically), code that should be fixed the same way will end being inconsistent... I suggest just start anywhere you feel confident about what you're doing. If you'll be working on something for a longer time (maybe a week or more), just send a note, to avoid working on the same stuff. These days I'm not really working on this, but if I do I'll warn you, and send any code asap.

Makes sense to me... I'll do the same re: keeping you posted (off-list so we don't clutter up things unless you indicate otherwise)

>> Thanks,
>> Phil
>>

> Thank you for doing this! Chances are we'll get it done faster than any of us could do it alone.

That's the general idea.  Since we're working toward the same goal, it only make sense.

Thanks,
Phil