[Cuis] [ANN] Cuis-SecureSocket

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sat May 26 15:12:06 CDT 2012

David Graham wrote:
> On 5/25/12 4:46 PM, Daniel Lyons wrote:
>> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 04:40:17PM -0500, David Graham wrote:
>>> This is closely related to something that I'm genuinely curious
>>> about.  I don't consider myself experienced enough to fully
>>> understand all the issues surrounding smalltalk DVCS, but it seems
>>> like everyone is moving towards file-based DVCSs (i.e. git) for
>>> smalltalk code.  Is the future direction to move away from smalltalk
>>> tools and integrate file based tools?  Again, it may be my
>>> inexperience, but it seems like a strange trend for such a powerful
>>> programming environment.

I don't think there is a general trend. Cuis is not abandoning
Monticello, Cuis never adopted it. I think Monticello falls into several
of the reasons for not integrating it into Cuis:
- It is huge
- It is complex
- It is unstable
- Almost nobody understands it
- It is slow
- It is not really essential. You can code without it.

There is another question besides what goes in the image and what goes
as optional code, and it is "What should be done in Smalltalk (either
internal or external package) and what should be better left outside
Smalltalk (to other apps, the OS, etc)?"

To me, the answer to this question has to do with what are my interests.
In the Dynabook vision, Smalltalk is the way to express knowledge. I
fully adhere to that. So, as I'm into Image Processing and Graphics, I
don't want to call Cairo. I want access to all the code (i.e. Morphic 3).

On the other hand, I'm not into File Systems. I'm not interested into
having a FAT-32 or whatever file system code in Smalltalk. I'm perfectly
happy in letting the platform below handle it, if it can. To me a VCS
can be seen as a versioning file system. That's exactly what Git does,
and it does it quite well! So, I'm happy to access it, and not duplicate
its logic in Smalltalk.