[Cuis] [ANN] Cuis-SecureSocket

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sat May 26 15:18:24 CDT 2012

Phil (list) wrote:
>> This is closely related to something that I'm genuinely curious about.  I don't consider myself experienced enough to fully understand all the issues surrounding smalltalk DVCS, but it seems like everyone is moving towards file-based DVCSs (i.e. git) for smalltalk code.  Is the future direction to move away from smalltalk tools and integrate file based tools?  Again, it may be my inexperience, but it seems like a strange trend for such a powerful programming environment.
>>

> I would hope so, but I'm in the minority of Smalltalk users.  In theory, most things being handled in-image seems to make a lot of sense.  In reality, the Smalltalk community has limited resources so reinventing the wheel re: DVCS etc. doesn't appear to be the best use of those resources and seems to result in limited/brittle/incomplete re-implementations of solutions already provided elsewhere.

Agreed. Unless you're really into DVCS, and it is the main focus of your
project. Then, all that energy is well spent. (not the case for me!)

> One of the things I've really enjoyed about the decisions re: Cuis 4.0 and packages is that by simply accepting and adopting how the 'rest of the world' (at least the *nix world) deals with text files, we get multiple problems solved and capabilities gained essentially for free.
>
> For example, it sounds like these changes were made to facilitate using git.  But I'm still (mostly) on svn for version control and now find myself using it as well as many of my favorite *nix text processing tools for free with Cuis as a result of this change.  (Yeah, I know I could have done so before by simply translating to and fro as needed but it caused enough friction where I often wouldn't... now I find myself using them without even thinking about it.)
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

That's great! Yes, the idea is to ease our lives. It doesn't really help
Windows users, but it is better than the CR convention that only Squeak
uses.

BTW, I guess using svn should be totally possible. I can't guarantee,
because I don't know it in detail.