[Cuis] A small variation to use provides / requires

Ken Dickey Ken.Dickey at whidbey.com
Sun Aug 25 05:37:01 CDT 2013

On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 17:44:30 -0300
Germán Arduino <garduino at gmail.com> wrote:

> In complex packages that have many prerequisites, it is sometimes
> uncomfortable place them in the package.

> Then, to install Swazoo you must evaluate: Feature require:
> 'Swazoo-Installer' and from others installer packages that require Swazoo,
> you only must add the #requires for Swazoo-Installer, and the real code
> packages (Swazoo and others related to network in this case) remain
> untouched and can be used from different installers.

This confuses me.

Why would I not just
  !requires: 'Swazoo' 1 0 nil!  "Feature require: 'Swazoo'"
for any packages that require Swazoo?

Say I create a set of unit tests for Aida, and I want to pull in the networking tests as well.

I should be able to do something like

!provides: 'Aida-Tests' 1 0!
!requires: 'Cuis-NetworkTests-UUID' 1 0 nil!
!requires: 'Cuis-NetworkTests-RFC822' 1 0 nil!
!requires: 'Aida 1 0!

Then I just
  Feature require: 'Aida-Tests'.
and everything I need gets loaded in the right order.

If I don't want the network tests, I just do

!provides: 'Aida-Tests' 1 0!
!requires: 'Aida 1 0!

So

  Feature require: 'Aida-Tests'.

provides everything required to run Aida unit tests.

Why create a separate 'Aida-Tests-Installer' ???

I think it must be more simple than a separate installer so I will not be confused.

-Ken