[Cuis] A small variation to use provides / requires

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 10:41:02 CDT 2013

On 8/25/13, Germán Arduino <garduino at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ken:
>
> I'm not saying that my approach is the best to all cases, probably not in
> the simplest situations.
>
> But when I've a package that have several req and at the same time this
> package is a req of more than 1 different package, that at the same time
> might have different req between them and coexist in the same image, I
> think that may be more neat not to mess the real package (the one that
> contains the real code) with prereq, and isolate them in an installer
> package.
>
> My feeling is that not having lot of #requieres hardcoded in the package
> that have the real code of its domain may bring more flexibility in the
> reuse at installation level.
Maybe. But I see the 'provides/requires' information as part of the package.

If you look at other languages the concept of stating at the beginning
of a package what it requires as prerequisite is quite common. It is
not so common in a Smalltalk context but it is not so common as well
to use an exiting version control system. Both things
- going for packages which explicitly state what they need and
- using a well known version control system like github
is fine for me.

-- Hannes