[Cuis] A small variation to use provides / requires

Angel Java Lopez ajlopez2000 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 10:52:34 CDT 2013

Well, I don't know about Cuis features

But regarding:
'If you look at other languages the concept of stating at the beginning
of a package what it requires as prerequisite is quite common'

In other language, you have require, import, using commands or something
alike, not as prerequisite, but as declaring "Now, I need, in this file,
package,...  these implementations/namespaces/packages/etc"

So, in one file, you can have requires (ie Node.js) but the prerequisites
are usually in other files, out of code (maven, nuget, npm, gems, pip,
etc...)

So, at code time, you import in your namespace what you need.

At install time, you run other command to install the dependencies, maybe
using a repository, with online access

In this way, you can specify also the version, not in code, but in install
files

I like this separation of concerns (notably, npm, node package manager can
download dependencies BY PACKAGE, so P1 can use P2 version 0.1.0, and other
package in the same application, say P3, can use P2 version 0.0.9)

And deployment on stacks like Heroku, also likes this separation of
concern: declaring the dependencies is out of code.

But I don't know about Cuis or Smalltalk in general. You have images, live
objects, etc...  My own implementation started to use npm as repository.

Angel "Java" Lopez
@ajlopez