[Cuis] Audio and Video Object Analysis

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Tue Dec 17 22:00:43 CST 2013

On 12/17/2013 3:42 AM, Kirk Fraser wrote:
> How does one hook up an existing .dll to a class definition in Cuis?
>  For example, Open Computer Vision
> http://docs.opencv.org/doc/tutorials/introduction/windows_install/windows_install.html
> download appears to have several .dlls at:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/opencvlibrary/files/opencv-win/2.4.7/
> They also have a Linux install at
> http://docs.opencv.org/doc/tutorials/introduction/linux_install/linux_install.html?highlight=linux

You can use the FFI package. Or you can write a VM plugin that calls the
DLL, giving the Smalltalk side a potentially better api. Most likely not
a trivial work.

> Or would I be ahead to just lower myself into the pit of Python and
> Numpy for real time speed?  I understand some state of the art
> research teams for driverless cars did that.

Cuis with the appropriate plugins can be as fast as Python + Numpy, with
the advantage that stuff is easier to develop and evolve, because it is
all written in Smalltalk. Python + Numpy makes the C part too opaque to
my taste. Anyway, it is your call.