[Cuis] Did we drop PNG support?

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Fri Dec 20 08:36:41 CST 2013

On 12/20/2013 11:04 AM, Casey Ransberger wrote:
> I don't care for JPEG, *ever.* For the record. My thinking was PNG
> support and that's it, but I can see now why you decided against using
> it (compression.)

Oh, but I am not against using it! It is the best option in many
situations. I just think it is better for the kernel not to depend on it.

> I didn't know that BMP actually supported transparency. Yes, that will
> do nicely (I don't care much for GIF either, though sometimes the
> animated ones can be kind of a fun retro laugh.)

Given that we have an external package for this stuff, bringing back GIF
it might be a good idea.

> I'm okay with getting rarely used image formats out of the core of the
> system, FWIW. I worry with having this stuff outside the image we
> usually develop in that we'll break stuff and not notice it though.
> Maybe soonish would be a good time to do some kind of continuous
> integration set up. That would help to ensure external packages keep
> working. An adventure for another day though.

I'm not sure of the value of a continuous integration server. But I
usually do stuff for Cuis updates in an image with all the "official"
packages loaded, so I reduce the risk of breaking them. Sometimes, when
committing updates, I also need to update some package.