[Cuis] Did we drop PNG support?

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Fri Dec 20 22:03:47 CST 2013

I hear what you're saying, Juan.

Counter arguments:

a) You're right, automated tests will not catch every possible bug. But
they'll catch some, sometimes, and that's more information than no
information.

b) I think your statement here misses the point. The point is that someone
is *alerted* right away, generally by email, which is never a bad thing.

And I disagree with your statement that "people starts being less careful
about quality, believing that the CI server can compensate for it."
Obviously the CI server isn't going to fix bugs. IMHO, implementing CI is
by definition being *more* careful about quality, not less.

Let me put it another way: people won't run the tests. Even if you pay
them, they probably won't run the tests. Even if you convince them that
they're probably going to hell if they don't run the tests, people still
won't run the tests before they check in. I'm passionate about testing, but
you know when the last time I ran the tests was? It was right before the
last time we shipped a major version.

Running the tests as often as every commit is never a bad thing; having to
do it manually though, is a pain in the ass.

To be clear: I know how much you care about quality. I know that you read
every code submission very carefully, and you're keen to reject code that
doesn't meet your standards for quality, which are very high. I've even see
you rewrite bits of submissions to improve them before including them in
the system. You're right about one thing, too, which is that no amount of
automation can come close to the work of a dedicated, passionate, and able
human being.

It's still worth doing, when the time is right. Eventually -- we should
hope -- the number of submissions will become burdensome. Automated testing
can reduce some of that burden, and let us know when something has become
provably broken, even if us volunteers are too busy surviving to pay close
attention that day.

Juan does have a point here. He's controlling checkins to the core system
right now, and there aren't yet so many submissions that he has to deputize
other people to be able to merge submissions. I think it will be when we
reach the point where the number of submissions exceed Juan's available
time that we will very seriously need to think about CI. I'm also glad to
hear that he works in an image with the standard non-core packages loaded.
That alone greatly assuages the particular concern I voiced.

One last advantage of CI: the CI system can build multiple image targets.
This means it can cook us a core image and it can also cook us a standard
image. The latter is advantageous because it's probably better that the
easy-to-grab image we work in has "stuff we might break" loaded already;
it's arguably burdensome to load all the external packages before beginning
to work (I, for example, don't.)

Anyway, these are just my views, and they aren't carved on stone tablets.

Cheers,

Casey