[Cuis] Use of #deprecated: and/or #deprecatedExplanation:

Ken Dickey Ken.Dickey at whidbey.com
Sat Dec 28 11:31:25 CST 2013

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 03:46:33 -0800
Casey Ransberger <casey.obrien.r at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since back compat isn't a strong goal in Cuis, and we're more generally just inclined to rip stuff that isn't absolutely required out, I'd argue that we don't really need this.

Not only that, but you can specify a requirement for an older version and a revision range where things do work.  Since this includes the base image, we can still safely share packages.

One of the motivations for both Cuis and Pharo to drop backward compatibility is to lessen the drag on forward progress.  Cuis (Comprehensible Uniform Incremental Simple :^) into conciseness and scalable Morphic(3) and Pharo into professional, systematically rational introspective tools.

It is good not to create arbitrary differences in dialect and to be conscious of where others are different and why, but the joy of evolution has its own imperative.  Useful aspects can be imaginatively created in any dialect and if really useful and not discordant will be picked up by others as makes sense.  But we must be free to experiment with new viewpoints.

I am basically a bottom-up tinkerer and incrementalist.  Some people can conceive of the grand plan, plan out the details, and just build it.  One of the joys of Smalltalk is the ability to aim for a direction, explore and try out a bunch of solutions and evolve toward goals rather than having to pre-plan and build toward goals.

For me it has to be simple enough to play around, have fun, learn, and produce things I think beautiful, or at least pretty.  I hope my code will be useful, but if it is not fun I will not get there.

Anyway, I depricate #depricated.

$0.02,
-KenD