[Cuis] OSProcess status

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Dec 30 09:33:07 CST 2013

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 06:37:50PM -0800, Ken Dickey wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 15:05:45 -0500
> "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> > I made a package called "OSProcess" and saved the OSProcess.pck.st in a
> > new github repository called "Cuis-Smalltalk-OSProcess".
> >
> > This is the first time I have used github, so please let me know if this
> > works as expected.
>
> Dave,
>
> I must first admit knowing _nothing_ about OSProcess, so following remarks may be less than intelligent.
>
> The Cuis-Smalltalk-OSProcess GIT project cloned just fine.

On the contrary, very helpful - thanks!

> I made some guesses about what the OSProcess package requires.
>
> =================In Workspace:
> "OSProcess"
> Feature require: 'FFI'.
> Feature require: 'SqueakCompatibility'.
> Feature require: 'Network-Kernel'.
> Feature require: 'OSProcess'.
> ============================

I updated it to specify SqueakCompatibility and Network-Kernel. The network
package is not strictly required, but it is needed for some of the unit
tests and I cannot imagine that someone using OSProcess would not also
want networking. FFI is not required (VM plugins are used rather than FFI)
so I left that out.

> There were some test failures.  In particular:
>
> UnixProcessTestCase
> 	forkSqueak requires XDisplayControlPlugin
>
> AioEcentHandlerTestCase
> 	aio event forwarding not supported

Most likely you are using a Cog VM that does not able to provide the X11
display control plugin. For purposes of running the full OSProcess test
suite, it is best to use a standard interpreter VM (from squeakvm.org/unix).
Aside from that, Cog is fine for most practical applications of OSProcess,
so unless you need some specific function (such as the #forkSqueak methods),
it will not matter which VM you are using.

Thanks a lot for the help and guidance.

Dave