[Cuis] Is Smalltalk right for my autonomous car? (was Re: Audio and Video Object Analysis)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Dec 18 06:13:50 CST 2013

(note I'm not subscribed to Cuis so this might end up in a filter somewhere)

On 18.12.2013, at 10:24, Casey Ransberger <casey.obrien.r at gmail.com> wrote:

> Inline. Bert CC'd because I think he'd know what was going on with Secure Squeak for some reason, I think he's brought it up before.
>
> > SecureSqueak is a thing. It's beyond my experience at present, but might be
> > worth looking into if you are concerned about the safety of your end users!
>
> SecureSqueak's something entirely different to _safety_.
>
> So sure, are you? When car is driven by program, communicate with other cars, it must! Foxtrot Charlie of code injection this could become. Many lives in danger. Beware the Dark Side!
>
> Also, it
> looks very strongly like it's a dead-because-of-lack-of-time project.
>
> That's too bad. Aren't they using it in Etoys? I could have sworn they were. CC Bert so he can tell me how wrong I am.

In Etoys we're just using the Squeak VM's sandboxing, which once enabled prevents code from accessing the file system outside a specific directory. That makes it pretty safe (because we also remove FFI and OSProcess etc. which make the VM more hole-riddled than swiss cheese [*]).

- Bert -

[*] with apologies to Swiss Cheese, which is supposed to be holey. VMs are not.