[Cuis] About adding a Unicode handling porting layer

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Wed Feb 6 20:22:39 CST 2013

Hi Angel,

On 2/6/2013 8:33 AM, Angel Java Lopez wrote:
> Hi people!
>
> I just found:
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/857 Unicode at Squeak
> http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/~ohshima/squeak/
> <http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/%7Eohshima/squeak/>
> http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/~ohshima/squeak/squeak-multilingual-e.html
> <http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/%7Eohshima/squeak/squeak-multilingual-e.html>
> (pending, to read)
>
> It's not clear to me (I'm not a Smalltalker/Squeaker/Cuiser):
>
> Ohsima work, is a change in the Squeak VM? or in String class using
> pure Smalltalk/Squeak?
> Why not is that work included in Cuis? It cannot be ported?
>
> Angel "Java" Lopez
> @ajlopez

 From http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/CuisReleaseNotes.html:

"For instance, Cuis also doesn't include Unicode support. The handling
of Unicode characters and strings in Squeak falls in b (too complex), as
the whole system is affected and c (not stable), as bugs are still
arising, even after being used for many years. Besides, as the basic
Character and String were not modified, but new classes for
WideCharacter and WideString were introduced, we can also consider it
falls under a (optional in nature)."