[Cuis] Ropes (functional strings)

Ken Dickey Ken.Dickey at whidbey.com
Tue Feb 12 21:50:35 CST 2013

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 00:37:31 -0300
Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org> wrote:

> I must admit that I don't know when it makes sense to use it, but it is
> really interesting.

The Cedar/Mesa language and IDE used only ropes.

At least one Python implementation uses ropes internally for Unicode strings:

	http://morepypy.blogspot.com/2007/11/ropes-branch-merged.html

The IBM Java Ropes performance is also interesting, particularly with respect to regular expression search.  [We could probably speed this up with Zippers, but I hate to get too functional here.  ;^].

	http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-ropes/index.html

> BTW, I find it totally amazing that you could hook this into the
> existing TextModel and text editor _without modifying a single method_!

I thought that it was pretty cool myself.

Hey, that is the way good Smalltalk should be written.

Cheers,
-KenD