[Cuis] VM Bug

Ken Dickey Ken.Dickey at whidbey.com
Fri Feb 22 09:56:51 CST 2013

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 09:20:54 -0300
Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org> wrote:

> Note that WordArray stores unsigned numbers, but the primitives handle
> signed. If you want unsigned 16 bit, I'd rather add #unsignedAt: and
> #unsignedAt:put: to ShortIntegerArray, doing a conversion like WordArray
> does.

Yes.  I want to store all 16 bits.  Do whatever is the sensible thing.

The comment in #at:put: is definitely at odds with what the primitives do.

My personal preference is for unsigned byte, word, and long storage to have better naming (e.g. U8Array, U16Array, U32Array with #at:put: storing unsigned integers to  16rFF*) and have these subclassed for (S8Array, S16Array, S32Array) with #at:put: expecting signed integers of the proper size.

Number implementations are way too complex and should be explained better for beginners.

Thanks for the digging,
-KenD
--
Ken [dot] Dickey [at] whidbey [dot] com