[Cuis] Package format

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 09:25:17 CST 2013

On 26 February 2013 15:17, H. Hirzel <hannes.hirzel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Frank
>
> On 2/26/13, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've read http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/CodeManagementInCuis4.html but
>> I'm unclear on something.
>>
>> Some Cuis packages - https://github.com/garduino/Cuis-JSON for
>> instance - store an entire package in a .pck.st file. This looks like
>> a standard chunk fileout.
>>
>> So far so good. But sometimes one wants to store code in more than one
>> file. https://github.com/pmon/Cuis-PetitParser for instance uses four
>> files, to keep the tests separate from the code under test, and so on.
>>
>> But how do you file in this set of files automatically?
>
> You need a load script. See for example my fork of Cuis-PetitParser
>
> https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-PetitParser
>
> Prompted by your mail I just have issued a pull request to pmon.

Ah, yes, that'll do.

By the way, did you know that GitHub's markup permits
language-specific syntax highlighting?

````smalltalk
This is a valid Smalltalk sentence.
````

> Does Cuis have
>> some analysis tools to, say, topologically sort class references and
>> so knows to file in PetitParser.pck before PetitTests.pck?
>
> No.
>
> Or do you
>> rely on the user loading things in by hand, and guessing the correct
>> order?
>
> Yes, guessing is necessary unless people provide a load script.
> Actually most of the Cuis repositories have such a load script in the
> README.md file.
>
> Maybe we should find a way to make this more formal. I.e. put this
> under a special heading so that the information may be extracted from
> the README.md files.
>
>> (GNU Smalltalk makes you specify the load order, in a package.xml
>> file. This file also allows you to express dependencies on other
>> packages.)
>
> Yes, this is also worth considering.

I just don't want to reinvent wheels. I'm thinking semi-seriously
about going the package.xml route. Not because I love XML - I hate it
- but because the idea's sensible. You can figure out load order
between packages automatically, for instance. (But I don't know how
the GNU Smalltalk people describe version-specific dependencies.)

frank