[Cuis] ProfStef port fix for 4.1 (was Re: Hi)

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Wed Jan 2 07:58:29 CST 2013

Hi Paolo,

Paolo wrote:
> Happy New Year!! Just back from holiday and lots of messages to read!

Yes, there's a lot of activity and discussion recently :)

> I should have fixes for ProfStef port I can upload but I suspect the fix is too ugly and not safe : what is currently failing in 4.1 is the World global instance that appears to be missing, I am willing to find a better solution than "PasteUpMorph allInstances at: 1" .
> Can someone suggest a more appropriate approach to get the current World instance in 4.1?
> Many thanks
>
> Paolo

The problem with the global is that it means there can only be a World.
I'd like to raise that restriction. Maybe, some time, we'll have various
worlds, on different Displays or host windows, or even on different
computers on a network.

So, what to do when you just need the world? In Cuis 4.1, any morph that
is in a world can answer #world. It will be nil if the morph is not in
any world. In addition, any object can answer #runningWorld. This method
answers a world _only_ if called in the same process that is running the
Morphic world. Both this accessors will work in an image with multiple
worlds (provided that each world is run by a different process). If none
of them serves you, then we need something else. Ideas are welcome!