[Cuis] About Squeak's FFI package ported to Cuis

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Thu Jan 24 21:07:17 CST 2013

Hi Hannes,

H. Hirzel wrote:
> Hello Juan
>
> tank you for the explanations how to find out about the porting
> status. This is fine. However I think it is easier for future porting
> efforts to archive a copy of the original in the same repository.

Yes, good idea.

> I now have created an FFI repository on github
>
>     https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-FFI
>

> As initial commit it contains a copy of what you have done:
>
>    https://github.com/bpieber/Cuis-StyledTextEditor/blob/master/FFI.pck
>

> And in the branch
>     https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-FFI/tree/UpdateJanuary2013
>
> I am working on a update.

You'd compare the code with my version. There are a few tweaks that are
needed for Cuis. Oh, and there are many CR characters in there...

> I add the FFI-Tests category. I only did two minor fixes and it is
> left with 3 tests failing.
>
> Details see
>     https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis-FFI/blob/UpdateJanuary2013/notes/PortingNotes.md
>
> Actually only one thing prevents them from all passing.
>
> The <primitive: 'primitiveFFIIntegerAtPut' module:'SqueakFFIPrims'> fails.
>
> Here I do not know how to continue.

I did
    FFITestPoint2 defineFields.
    FFITestPoint4 defineFields.
And all test pass. :) Maybe they'd be called from a class side
#initialize method?

> You write in another thread that you used it on MSWindows. What did
> you use it for? Could you provide an example?

StyledTextEditor Extended Clipboard. Allows copying / pasting not only
text, but Forms (bmp/png/tiff), RTF, all this between Cuis and other
apps, and even complete morphs or other complex objects if between 2
Cuis images. There is an ExtendedClipboardPlugin for Mac, with full
functionality. For Windows, there is a limited functionality (can paste,
but can not copy into Windows clipboard) done using FFI.