[Cuis] Multilingual applications in Cuis

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Mon Jan 28 11:29:55 CST 2013

Hi Germán,

Dne 28. 01. 2013 17:49, piše Germán Arduino:

> I'm in the early stage of development of my first commercial project
> in Cuis and I would like to offer it in, at least, spanish and english
> and, hopefully, in more languages with an easy way of add new
> languages.
>
> Are you thinking in some feature/framework to accomplish these goals in Cuis?

In Aida there is a multilingual support including later translation
support of your web app to different languages.

If you put your text directly in your code, you can later make it
translatable easily by changing it to a literal association, with
language code of original text as key and original text as value. For
instance:

Original code looks like:

	e addText: 'Bonjour'

To enable it to become multilingual:

    e addText: #fr->'Bonjour'.

Ok, so far nothing happened on this page, there is still Bonjour, but
this text now became in-line editable (if your session is in translation
mode). So, to translate this text in Spanish, you would first change
default language of your session to Spanish:

	http://localhost:8888/myapp?language=es

Now click to edit that Bonjour to Hola and that's it. Aida goal namely
is to make as simple as possible for translators to translate your web
app in other languages.

Translations are stored on the class side of App classes, so they are
easily maintained through regular Smalltalk source code systems.

More on http://www.aidaweb.si/translation%20support

Best regards
Janko

--