[Cuis] About stable and unstable Cuis releases (was Re: Problem saving new package)

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Tue Oct 1 06:57:11 CDT 2013

Hi Phil,

On 9/30/2013 10:41 PM, Phil (list) wrote:
> 1836 does not have this issue.  That's what I get for going with
> stable :-)
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

This kind of issues would be better handling by maintaining 2 branches
at the same time (like, a Cuis 4.2 branch that only get bug fixes and a
4.3 alpha branch with deeper/riskier changes, and those breaking
compatibility). But Cuis is too small (in users, developers, and
resources) to afford to do that. Apologies.

On the other hand, we are not doing deep or risky changes, and usually
the very latest version is as reliable as any other. (A simpler system
is less risky to change) So, the only reason I see to stay with the
stable release, would be if you plan to do a development of significant
size, and you need the system APIs to be really frozen.

BTW, if anybody is doing that, maybe you also have a few hours you could
donate to the project from time to time, and we could join efforts to
actually start publishing bug fixes for stable releases.