[Cuis] [squeak-dev] fonts, characterscanners and dead primitive 103

Ken Dickey Ken.Dickey at whidbey.com
Thu Sep 5 09:38:33 CDT 2013

On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 20:38:32 -0700
Casey Ransberger <casey.obrien.r at gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe this is correct, though someone (Ken Dickey maybe?) has been working on a simplified Unicode implementation for Cuis.

Hi.  I'm not sure what the context is here.

I wrote a package which adds rudimentary/basic support for Unicode.  (I have a hard time using "simplified" and "Unicode" in the same sentence).

Basically, you can read and write utf-8 files and do simple cut/copy/paste editing.  Display uses a simple bitmap font, but with good coverage of most useful code points.

You can make a cursor from a dingbat or edit a web page.   Let me know if I can help with anything.

>From the Git README.md at:

https://github.com/KenDickey/Cuis-Smalltalk-Unicode

================================

Status

Incomplete

    Simple edit of Unicode files with copy/cut and paste.
    NO font support (uses simple 'forms' from GNU UniFont).
    Currently, there is NO grapheme composition. Unicode code points are displayed, including 'combining marks'.
    Tested with Cuis 4.2

Introduction/Overview

Unicode is a complex system and strategy for computer manipulation of character and string information for human language.

The code presented here has very limited ambitions:

    Properly read and write Unicode data to/from disk.
    Allow programmatic (code) manipulation of Unicode code points.
    Implement reasonable sorting, searching, and other manipulation of code points.

The support of Unicode text display is minimal. Fonts are not yet supported. Bitmap glyphs (16 x 16 forms) are from http://www.unifoundry.com/unifont.html

Cheers,
-KenD
--