[Cuis] question/suggestion: should I look at Github's commits?

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Mon Aug 11 06:47:18 CDT 2014

Hi Davide,

On 11/08/2014 8:04, Davide Della Casa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a quick question - Github’s commits are a little “bulky” for
> comprehensive understanding. (e.g.
> https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/commit/4143e823a3ffaa6cdecb495021c243d6d0ee6cef )
>
> I understand that Cuis’ commit model is based on different tools and
> the image system is inherently different etc. , but I was wondering
> whether Github’s commits can be made more granular?
>
> If not, or if that’s too time consuming, what’s the best way to check
> the more granular commits?
>
> Cheers,
> Davide

I agree with you that making smaller commits would make it easier for
folks to follow. What is a bit time consuming is preparing the updated
image, running the tests, checking the optional packages for breakage,
etc. I could do a commit for few (maybe less than 5) change sets. That
would be more than one commit per week. Then, I wouldn't be checking the
packages, running the tests and uploading a new image each time. Please
folks, those who care, which way do you prefer and why?

In any case, to study what's going on, the best tool are not GitHub's,
but our Cuis image. First, update your local repo (or download the
updates from GitHub). Then take a Cuis image updated to the previous
level (i.e. #2055) and then open a FileList, You select Change set #2056
and click [contents]. You get a ChangeList with new methods at the top,
then modified methods, then deleted method. You can diff modified
methods (by line or by word, with or without pretty printing). You have
the full smalltalk image to experiment and understand the effect of
changes. When done, you can click [install], and continue with the next
change set (#2056) and so on.

This way, you can also review the updates, find errors in them, and
contribute your enhancements.