[Cuis] Styled Text Editor

Hari Balaraman hbalaraman at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 00:00:00 CDT 2014

Folks,

I’ve been playing around with the Styled Text Editor and noticed two issues, one is that the default size of the SystemWindow is smaller than the toolbar and the second is that when the window is resized, every part of the toolbar becomes progressively transparent other than the second PluggableFilteringDropDownListMorph (relating to CharacterStyle).

For the SystemWindow size on initialisation, I have used a very inelegant hack in the editFancierStyledText class method for the SystemWindow class by  specifying a large enough morphExtent to the SystemWindow.

But for the lack of transparency of the second PluggableFilteringDropDownListMorph on the resizing of the overall SystemWindow, I am lost.

On examining and comparing, in inspectors, the two PluggableFilteringDropDownListMorphs in the toolbar, I find the only difference to be in the labels.

I attach screenshots to illustrate the behaviour.

Editor window fully extended outwards.

Editor window partially constrained.

Editor window fully constrained with second toolbar not transparent.

I had one question for any folks that might know. What format does the text editor save files in? I saved it on the filesystem but couldn’t access it using textedit. If it isn’t accessible by non-smalltalk editors, is there a text editor you know of that I can install that will allow me to read and write to files on the filesystems. I started down that path last week writing to plaintext files (for an app I am building) but wanted to avoid reinventing the wheel in case it has already been done (also why I got pretty excited today about the stylised text editor.)

On the issue of enabling and disabling the focusFollowsMouse preference, I attach an awful hack to the Preferences menu that unfortunately gets the job done for me in the latest image.

Best regards,

Hari