[Cuis] Fixed-Width Font

Dan Norton dnorton at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 3 19:08:08 CDT 2015

On 3 Aug 2015 at 15:59, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> On 8/3/2015 1:54 PM, Dan Norton wrote:
> > On 29 Jul 2015 at 11:54, Juan Vuletich wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Dan,
> >>
> >> I looked for it in old stuff I haven't touched in several years,
> and
> >> found it. Glyph rendering is done by FreeType.
> >>
> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9d5xi3x2lvtrtum/AABy17XMTRmciA44ysM-vuxza
> >> ?dl=0
> >>
> >> This original ran on the Mac I had by then, but with the VM I
> added,
> >> it
> >> seems to work ok on Windows. Anyway, there are no guarantees. I
> >> didn't
> >> try to import the files generated, and for sure you'd need to
> add
> >> glyphs
> >> for 128, 129, 130 and 131, to follow the Cuis convention.
> >>
> >> BTW, I suggest using free fonts, that you can share without
> concern.
> >> DejaVu Sans is a good option. Inconsolata is just great. There
> are
> >> several more free code-oriented monospaced fonts out there.
> >>
> > I'm trying to get FreeType built and also I did a clone of:
> >
> > https://github.com/rougier/freetype-gl
> >
> > Unfortunately when I compile embedded-font.c the following
> occurs:
> >
> > fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'vera-16.h': No such
> file or directory
> >
> > Do any of you Cexperts know where I can get 'vera-16.h'? Google
> search produces ads for
> > soaps containing aloe vera :-)
> >
> >   - Dan
>
> Hi Dan,
>
> I can not help you with the build of FreeType , but could you try
> the
> image I used to build the fonts? You shouldn't need to build
> anything to
> run it. The FreeType VM plugin is included for both Windows and Mac.
> I'd
> appreciate any feedback.

OK, the package works as far as choosing fonts from a list. How the list is derived is not
clear. Inconsolata is not on it. The chosen font can be used in ListMorphs. The thing which
eludes me here is the same in the other environs: How to write a .bmp file containing the
glyphs. That problem was the reason for pursuing FreeType and OpenGL. I see the
characters displayed in the pane. They are drawn correctly. Where are the glyphs?

 - Dan