[Cuis] Fixed-Width Font

Dan Norton dnorton at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 4 13:35:19 CDT 2015

On 3 Aug 2015 at 22:52, Dan Norton wrote:

> On 3 Aug 2015 at 21:51, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> > years,
> > >>>>

> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9d5xi3x2lvtrtum/AABy17XMTRmciA44ysM-vuxza

> guarantees.

> > There

> > such
> > Google

> > try
> and
> > Mac.
> > >>
> > > OK, the package works as far as choosing fonts from a list.
> How
> > the list is derived is not
> > > clear. Inconsolata is not on it. The chosen font can be used
> in
> > ListMorphs. The thing which
> > > eludes me here is the same in the other environs: How to write
> > .bmp file containing the
> > > glyphs. That problem was the reason for pursuing FreeType and
> > OpenGL. I see the
> > > characters displayed in the pane. They are drawn correctly.
> Where
> > are the glyphs?
> > >
> > >   - Dan
> >
> > When you open that image, you see a browser open on a method
> called
> > #export. Some text is already selected. Before the selected text
> it
> > says
> > "Set FreeType preferences" and "Create a folder named AAFonts".
> The
> > selected text does "FreeTypeFontProvider current
> updateFromSystem."
> > .
> > This loads your Windows / MacOS fonts into the image. Then follows
> > lists of fonts. Those fonts must be available to the system. The
> > rest of
> > the selected code does the export, saving the bmp and txt files.
> > export Inconsolata, or any other font, first load it into your
> > Windows
> > or MacOS system, then add it to the list, then export.
> >
> > I thought all this was self-explanatory...
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Juan Vuletich
>
> If a font name is not in the system, the image crashes. Only a
> reboot recovers.
>
> It is not possible to create a new file in the AAFonts directory. It
> is possible in the current
> directory however.
>
> I'm going to restore my system to before Visual Studio et al. There
> is too much wierdness.

Hi Juan,

After the restore and after extracting again the two zip files from your dropbox there remain
fundamental problems. In FreeTypeFont>>export the following statement results in nothing
written to AAFonts directory:

n := 'AAFonts', FileDirectory slash, face familyName, '-', emph asString , '-', pointSize
printString.

If changed to spell out the complete path as follows, some of the .bmp and .txt files are
written to AAFonts before other problems arise:

n :=  '\cuis\pharo\Squeak4.10.2-2612\AAFonts\', face familyName, '-', emph asString , '-',
pointSize printString.

 - Dan