[Cuis] Fixed-Width Font

Dan Norton dnorton at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 10 14:05:50 CDT 2015

On 10 Jul 2015 at 13:29, Phil (list) wrote:

> On Fri, 2015-07-10 at 10:20 -0400, Dan Norton wrote:
> > On 9 Jul 2015 at 19:11, Casey Ransberger wrote:
> >
> > > I want this too. What needs to be done is to make a
> StrikeFont,
> > > IIRC. I didn't get a round toit. If anyone has an extra round
> toit
> > > that I can borrow, I'd be very appreciative.
> > >
> > Thought I had one... must be around here somewhere... :(
> >
> > > Anyway I think if you look around at the class StrikeFont,
> you'll
> > > find a trailhead or rabbit hole that you can follow toward how
> > > #doIt.
> > >
> > Browsing through strike fonts, I see no fixed widths. But, true
> type fonts have a few
> > fixed-width examples. There seems to be no way to install a .ttf
> in Cuis currently.
> >
> > Can we port TrueType-Support from Squeak?
> >
> > Should there be a sibling of StrikeFont, say TrueTypeFont, which
> inherits from AbstractFont?
> >
> > Any hints or guidance would be most welcomed.
>
> I'd like a fixed-width font as well but I suspect that this is one
> of
> the areas it might be better to wait until Morphic 3 on (i.e. isn't
> the
> existing font support based on bitmap fonts rather than vector?)

Yes, the only font now is DejaVu and it's a bitmap font. I found some fixed bitmap fonts
among the true types at:

http://www.lowing.org/fonts/

Adding a sublcass to AbstractFont to load one of these might be doable near-term until
Morphic 3 comes along. Porting TrueType from Squeak has a lot of drag.