[Cuis] Fwd: Re: DIRECT version number

Ken.Dickey Ken.Dickey at whidbey.com
Fri Jul 17 09:21:52 CDT 2015

On Fri, 17 Jul 2015 10:39:47 -0300
Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org> wrote:

> The problem, I think, is not identifying well defined Cuis releases. The
> problem is knowing how updates could affect your code.

This is a large search space.  It is easy for some minor change to have a cascaded interaction.

In thinking about this, I like to think of aerodynamic drag.  I want to be able to make rapid progress, so I like streamlined development processes.  I also want stability and robustness.

I think the inflection point where we go from laminar to turbulent air flow will change over time.

At this point in time, there are the fewest users and projects Cuis is likely to have.  I personally favor minimal drag and maximal progress at the expense of stability.  As stability becomes more important, added drag (heavier duty release process) is justified.

I once was talking with someone about garbage collection and they asked me how I could _prove_ that only "live" objects were left after each GC.  I told them it was a "proof by contradiction".

I.e. it's not a problem until it becomes a problem.

I did software development for a living for a couple of decades.  For me (a vote of 1) Release process is not yet a problem.  But, hey, I'm an old hacker guy.

What does everyone else think?

--
-KenD

PS: the random progress graphic is totally unrelated to this discussion.