[Cuis] [OT] HyperCard

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 17:21:50 CDT 2015

At the moment my interest is in creating a very small subset of Hypercard

Pictures on cards with a caption and buttons. Plus cards with bullet lists.

I postpone the direct manipulation aspect currently. I describe what
is on the cards with Smalltalk (you may call it a "DSL" for describing
stacks). And I have a reader for MarkDown and other similar types of
input.

These very days I focus on generating export formats (Just a sequence
of JPEGs to put on a tablet as is, LibreOffice Writer, LibreOffice
Impress, Large JPEG with many cards to create a poster, Microsoft
Word, Powerpoint, Markdown e.g. https://www.swipe.to/).  I work on
Pharo 4 at the moment and I aim at easy porting to Cuis.

More interaction will come later (drag and drop activities).

For a fairly recent Hypercard in Smalltalk / Squeak discussions see
the Squeak mailing list

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:54 AM
About HyperCard

A thread started by Edgar. I downloaded the sample image and could run
a stack like the Hypercard help stack in Squeak (screen shot
attached).

Below an extract of that thread.

-- Hannes

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:54 AM
About HyperCard

http://www.vpri.org/pdf/m2011001_dbjr_spec.pdf

DynaBook Junior Specification
by Ted Kaehler
14 Jan 2009. (Minor corrections 13 Dec 2010)
A specification for DynaBook Junior
shown in itself.
DBJr is a desktop publishing framework and
application builder that is modeled after Apple's HyperCard.

Abstract
DynaBook Junior is a desktop publishing
framework and application builder that is
modeled after Apple's HyperCard(tm). The
purpose of this specification is as a starting
point for the discovery of an extremely simple
way to describe and automatically generate
DynaBook Junior. The specification describes
stacks, pages, backgrounds, objects
embedded in pages, the front-to-back ordering
of objects, and page-specific objects. This
document is itself a DBJr stack that shows
examples of the features it describes.
Algorithms for showing a new page, adding
pages, adding backgrounds, and adding
objects to a page are given in pseudocode.

http://tinlizzie.org/lesserphic2/

download the example stack
http://tinlizzie.org/lesserphic2/aboutDBJr%205-Aug.morph
in addition, locate it with the file browser and then choose 'load as morph'

While the DynaBookJr (I always misread "DBJr" as "DataBase Jr") is
indeed a good modern replacement for HyperCard, isn't the normal
BookMorph already available in Squeak a reasonable approximation?

The Lesserphic version of DBJr is considered to be obsolete.  It uses
the "Etoys-style" uniclasses for pages but we later figured out a
simpler way of implementing it.

http://www.vpri.org/pdf/m2013003_ksapps.pdf

... research report 'Making
applications in KSWorld' and the equally interesting report of October
2012 'A Report on KScript and KSWorld'
http://www.vpri.org/html/writings.php

Chapter 6 of the the October report talks about  the hosting
environment which happens to be Squeak

<citation>
Hosting Environment: Squeak
As of this writing, the KSWorld is hosted on top of Squeak Smalltalk [10]. A
special Morphic widget called KSMorph is created under RectangleMorph.
</citation>

In the new document, Section
7.1 discusses the "Document Model" and Section 8.9 says it took about
200 lines to implement.