[Cuis] Fwd: Re: DIRECT version number

Ken.Dickey Ken.Dickey at whidbey.com
Sun Jul 19 15:18:38 CDT 2015

On Sun, 19 Jul 2015 11:20:19 -0300
Juan Vuletich <juan at jvuletich.org> wrote:

> As a bottom line, let me repeat: This is too big for me to do it.
> Please, folks, start documenting the APIs you most care about.

Let me repeat, "you don't have to do it".

I'd like to propose a simpler model based on the Smalltalk Way.

We take any stable revision, call it a version, give it a Baseline Version Number (could be just the development version number).  Each Baseline Release has a release document which describes major changes since the previous baseline.  This document is a light-weight description.

Each baseline release starts a new fork.  The only changes to the particular baseline release are bug fixes.

Nice users test their packages and likewise fork a Package Release which matches a Baseline Release.  This fork also only changes with bug fixes, and only in synch with its particular baseline.  Baseline packages Feature the baseline release.

So we forge ahead as usual, once in a while we say "enough has changed that we should re-baseline", do a new Baseline Release, test and release our Package Releases, then again move on forward.

Anyone can now pick any baseline release, require any associated packages, and ship/demo without fear.

Anyone with the time, energy, and interest can document baseline APIs to whatever level they feel comfortable.

Anyone can forge on ahead with the latest revision(s) with the usual "here be dragons, but also gold".

$0.02
-KenD