[Cuis] (Rescued) Re: Fwd: Re: DIRECT version number

Ken.Dickey Ken.Dickey at whidbey.com
Tue Jul 21 17:33:00 CDT 2015

On Tue, 21 Jul 2015 07:59:47 -0700
Peter van Rooijen <peter at aba-instituut.nl> wrote:

>> I was thinking: "What should a Feature Test be?".

I tend to think of a hierarchy of requirements.  Perhaps something like:

 Feature requireAll: #( <feature name>.. ).
 Classes requireAll: #( <class name>.. ).
 Methods requireAll: #( <selector name>.. ).
 MethodsForKind class: <class name> requireAll: #( <selectorName>.. ).
 Tests requireAllPass: #( <unit test name> ).

The Feature class lets us require named (macro) Features with a version check.  I prefer that requirements at this level actually load the packages required and only report failure if that is not possible, although we could have a "preflight" verson which just checks without loading any featured packages.

API's are basically "protocols", which in the absence of symbolic execution means checking that classes and specific method selectors exist, or more specifically, method selectors are applicable to specific KindOf: classes.

Further, some Unit Tests may be required to pass to ensure compliance with some specification.

We should be able to automate at least some of this, including a first pass of generating the test sets, which could then be pruned by hand as required.

$0.02,
-KenD