[Cuis] (Rescued) Re: Fwd: Re: DIRECT version number

Ken.Dickey Ken.Dickey at whidbey.com
Wed Jul 22 08:58:12 CDT 2015

On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 12:57:44 +0200
Peter van Rooijen <peter at aba-instituut.nl> wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 12:33 AM, Ken.Dickey <Ken.Dickey at whidbey.com> wrote:

> > I tend to think of a hierarchy of requirements.  Perhaps something like:
> >
> >  Feature requireAll: #( <feature name>.. ).
> >  Classes requireAll: #( <class name>.. ).
> >  Methods requireAll: #( <selector name>.. ).
> >  MethodsForKind class: <class name> requireAll: #( <selectorName>.. ).
> >  Tests requireAllPass: #( <unit test name> ).
> >

> Yeah, that's not at all what I'm thinking :). I'm thinking of something
> that is automatically runnable, like a unit test. It tests something, like
> a un test. But if the test does not pass, it is NOT a bug, unlike with a
> unit test. It's just that we would like to know about it. Also, with nit
> tests there is the assumption that the code that represents the test is
> always compilable, with feature tests that cannot be assumed, so there
> would need to be protection against that. ...

Remember the phrase "agreeing loudly"?

OK, so you want the "preflight option" for Feature check.

To not "fail a test" one has to test in sequence.

- Are the Features present (as in Feature require: #<whatever> )
- Are the classes present?
- Do the method selectors exist?
- Are the right protocols there (method selectors exist for specific classes; e.g. #isFoo: is a method on a class for some aClass isKindOf: <foo>).
- What code is expected to yield a specific result (actually run some code to check, like, well, a unit test).

Failure at any step/level means something is missing and the more specific tests at the next level don't get run.

A whole hierarchy of tests can be bundled as one Feature Test.

How is this different than what you are proposing?

--
-KenD