[Cuis] Fixed-Width Font

Dan Norton dnorton at mindspring.com
Sat Jul 25 14:34:34 CDT 2015

On 25 Jul 2015 at 18:57, H. Hirzel wrote:

> Then I would try to export the Squeak BitstreamVeraSansMono in
> StrikeFont format and import into Cuis. That should work ...

Yes, but the problem is how to get BitstreamVeraSansMono into StrikeFont format.

In Squeak 4.6, the font of a character string in the transcript can be changed from the default
to one of the BitstreamVeraSansMono sizes: #(9 12 15 24 36). Digging down through the
Transcript submorphs I found aTextMorphForEditView. When this is sent
"exportAsBMPNamed: 'sansmono12.bmp'" for example, the image in the Transcript is placed
in the .bmp file.

This needs improvement. The good news is that the glyphs appear to be sized and shaped
based on the font. The bad news is that the .bmp file contains a multi-line image, exactly as it
appears in the transcript and the entire first line of this appears to result from the blank (ascii
32). The next line looks pretty good until it reaches the edge of the pane where it stops. The
following characters are on the next line, etc.

What's needed is a morph which will contain the entire character set 32 to 255 without
wrapping and with the desired font. That morph can be sent the #exportAsBMPNamed:
message and then maybe we can make a strikefont.

[ snip ]

 - Dan