[Cuis] Status of Unicode support?

Phil (list) pbpublist at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 18:45:00 CDT 2015

On Fri, 2015-06-26 at 14:32 -0600, Ken.Dickey wrote:
> Sorry, Phil.  Hiking in the woods without WiFi.
>
> Not ignoring the mailing list for lack of interest..

No worries, though you might think about getting a 'friends and forests'
plan on your phone :-)

> On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 21:16:30 -0400
> "Phil (list)" <pbpublist at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I recall there was a lot of discussion a while back about Unicode
> > support in Cuis and I was just curious if anyone who was in the know
> > could summarize both what was agreed to and where things stand on this?
>
> Cuis can read and write utf-8 codepoints.
>
> I just updated https://github.com/KenDickey/Cuis-Smalltalk-Unicode.  The README.md file covers the salients.
>
> Note that due to the large size, Unicode support takes a long time to load.
>
> As the Cuis-Smalltalk-Unicode package is an add-on, UniString does NOT inherit from String; UniChar does NOT inherit from Character.
>
> Basically you can edit ASCII and do Unicode via cut/paste, which is good enough for web pages.
>
> No font support, but you can see the basic gliphs.
>
> E.g.
>   (Interval from: 8700 to: 8700 + 300) asArray asUniString edit.
> Will give a range of math symbols you can copy.
>
> See the README.md file.

Excellent, I'll take a look.

> > I should probably clarify what I'm looking for: is it possible to use
> > Unicode characters in the code editors (i.e. method source code)?
>
> I believe the answer is NO, but I have not tried this.

Fair enough.  I'm flip-flopping on whether or not this is even a
desirable feature.  On the pro side: sure, things like mathematical
notation would be nice to have for reading code where it's appropriate.
(see this screenshot for an example:
https://youtu.be/HAT4iewOHDs?t=29m20s) On the con side, writing it
becomes a bit of a pain as you get into hard to remember key combos for
unicode characters. (to warp an interview response I saw a while back
with former Star Wars cast members re: George Lucas' dialog: 'you can
read this sh*t, but you can't write it!')

> Note that I am unable to save an image with Cuis-Smalltalk-Unicode loaded.  I believe this is due to a bug in the ARM VM version I am using, but don't have access to an Intel architecture machine to check against.

I was going to look at this but Juan has already fixed it.  Man he's
fast...