[Cuis] Solitaire AGAIN ready for prime time

Ken.Dickey Ken.Dickey at whidbey.com
Sun Mar 29 15:14:07 CDT 2015

On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 14:30:06 -0400
"Phil (list)" <pbpublist at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2015-03-23 at 19:57 -0700, Ken.Dickey wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 15:50:27 -0400
> > "Phil (list)" <pbpublist at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > The fix looks good.  I think I found another gameplay bug: given a run
> > > of say 8D, 7S, 6D, 5S the game will let me drag the stack from 7S on
> > > down but not from 8D on down... iirc the rules, I believe the entire
> > > sequence should be draggable.
> >
> > Hmm.. Need a screen shot.
> >
> > The Freecell rules are (I believe) the number of free cells plus one, free cells being empty columns and spares.
> >
> > Perhaps you have some cards in the 'spare' slots?
> >

> Sorry for the delay... was having problems rendering the video:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xjsiP_eI_A&feature=youtu.be

Wow!  Many thanks for taking the trouble to make the video!

> In this example, it is not possible to drag the stack from the 10 or
> higher.  However, based on the other times I ran into this issue, it
> doesn't seem specific to card value or the number of cards in the stack
> (perhaps related to suits or some other game state?)

Right.  The HELP button shows the rules:
..."
  Cards in columns build up by alternating color and increasing sequence.
  You can move such "runs" up to the number of free cells plus 1.
  Free Cells are the spares and columns which contain no cards.
 "...

The video shows 2 "free" spares and 1 "free" column.  This gives 3 "free cells".  Add 1 gives 4 as the _maximum number of cards_ in a run which can be moved.

This is meant to give more of a challenge to the game and is different than other Solitaire games (e.g. Klondike) where one can move any sized run of cards.

Some Solitaire rule sets seem pretty wacky.  You can help me out by suggesting a better/clearer explanation for the help text.  Perhaps an example.

How could we best explain the "free cell" limitation?

Thanks much,
-KenD