[Cuis] Wrapper for file access in different Smalltalk dialects

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Sun May 17 10:07:08 CDT 2015

Below are the comments from the FileMan package.

Question: How do you compare the FileMan package to the FileSystem
package in Pharo?

https://github.com/mumez/Cuis-Smalltalk-FileMan/blob/master/FileMan-Core.pck.st#L45
I represent a single file entry (including directory).
You can write data by #fileContents: , and read the data by #fileContents.
---
mu 11/6/2006 20:21!

https://github.com/mumez/Cuis-Smalltalk-FileMan/blob/master/FileMan-Core.pck.st#L53
I represent a single file directory.
I implement various directory specific behaviors.
You can write data by #at:put: , and read the data by #at:.
---
mu 11/6/2006 20:21

https://github.com/mumez/Cuis-Smalltalk-FileMan/blob/master/FileMan-Core.pck.st#L63
!FmFileIOAccessor commentStamp: '<historical>' prior: 0!
I am an accessor to the low level file IO.
You can extend/rewrite me if you port FileMan to other Smalltalk dialects.

https://github.com/mumez/Cuis-Smalltalk-FileMan/blob/master/FileMan-Example.pck.st#L44
!FmBackupDirectoryEntry commentStamp: 'mu 5/4/2007 23:26' prior: 0!
This is a simple example for adding special behaviors to FmDirectoryEntry.
I backup file contents automatically, while users are not conscious about that.
Usage:
dir := './withBackup' asDirectoryEntry: FmBackupDirectoryEntry.
dir at: 'text' put: 'abc'.
dir at: 'text' put: 'def'.
(dir at: 'text') inspect. "def"
(dir backupAt: 'text') inspect. "abc"
((dir / 'sub') at: 'text2' put: '123').
((dir / 'sub') at: 'text2' put: '456').
((dir / 'sub') at: 'text2') inspect. "456"
((dir / 'sub') backupAt: 'text2') inspect. "123"

https://github.com/mumez/Cuis-Smalltalk-FileMan/blob/master/FileMan-Example.pck.st#L63
This is a simple example for adding special behaviors to FmDirectoryEntry.
I put and get file contents as gzipped, while users are not conscious
about that.
Usage:
| dir |
dir := './gzipped2' asDirectoryEntry: FmGZipDirectoryEntry.
dir binaryAt: 'bin' put: #(1 2 3 12 34 56) asByteArray.
(dir binaryAt: 'bin') inspect.
dir at: 'text' put: 'This will be gzipped'.
(dir at: 'text') inspect.
I would be useful for storing/loading big contents in a simple
dictionary-like manner.