[Cuis] OMeta 2

Phil (list) pbpublist at gmail.com
Thu May 21 13:44:59 CDT 2015

On Thu, 2015-05-21 at 12:26 -0400, Phil (list) wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-05-21 at 11:04 +0000, H. Hirzel wrote:
> > Yes, now we need more examples.
> >
> > BTW which source file did you use for the port
> >
> > http://www.squeaksource.com/OMeta/
> >
> > ?
> >

> Good question... I'll have to take a look.  It shouldn't be a problem
> incorporating any bug fixes from SqueakSource as it hasn't been an
> actively developed package for some time.  (Which is a shame, there's so
> much more to do...)

Oh yes, more fond memories of getting this thing running way back when
are coming back to me.  I ended up falling back to Alex's (the original
author) version as I had problems with the SqueakSource version.
Normally, I just unzip the .mcz to grab the sources.st and, after making
whatever fixes are needed to get it working with Cuis, just filein the
code.  For whatever reason, the .mcz from SqueakSource seemed to have
the classes/methods defined in the wrong order (i.e. subclasses defined
before the parent class) and as a result was throwing MNU errors for
methods defined further down in the source file.  On top of that, the
latest version in SqueakSource no longer appears to load in current
versions of Squeak (4.5) so unless someone wants to fix it...

I've done a diff of the first and last versions from SS and it's only
couple of pages of changes.  However, I'm not sure how far apart the
baseline versions are (diffs between Alex's version and SqueakSource are
large likely due to the different ordering of class/method definitions)
so I'm reluctant to want to apply them without a decent set of test
cases to ensure the changes aren't creating more problems than they
solve.  Without test cases, I prefer to put my faith in the work Alex
did more than what came after...