[Cuis] Patterns

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Mon Nov 16 19:06:25 CST 2015

Hi Dan,

On 16/11/2015 07:30 p.m., Dan Norton wrote:

> As one who benefits greatly from studying other people's code ;-) I
> favor copy and paste over reading prose. The most useful "Useful Code
> Patterns" would be something in a code window like "Useful
> Expressions" IMO. But where UE is code line oriented, it needs to be
> class and method orented.  It would be heavily commented as to what is
> on a line, or in a method, and why, because this is a big problem with
> Smalltalk in many cases. Once pasted, the comments would be customized
> or removed.

Ok, it is a good idea.

> I started a package with a model and a view, trying to be minimalist
> about getting them to simply put up a window without bringing up the
> debugger. There are lots of comments. Please take a look and give me
> yours.
>
>            https://github.com/dhnorton/Cuis-Smalltalk-patterns
>
> It tries to be the most efficient, direct, and simple pattern for
> opening a view on a model in Cuis. It's deliberately not glitzy. Glitz
> is added by the user. Next, I plan to incorporate #when:send:to:
> fundamentals.
>
>  - Dan

Well, I don't like the #open method in the model. The idea of View /
Model separation is that views know about models, but models don't know
about views. A Model should exist independently of being used from
Morphic, MVC, Seaside, or any other UI framework. It could live, for
example, in a Gemstone database with no UI at all. Or ir could travel to
and from other systems, like VA Smalltalk, where the UI framework is
completely different from Cuis'.

I think it is better for the View to start it all.