[Cuis] Patterns

Thierry Goubier thierry.goubier at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 22:42:37 CST 2015

Le 17/11/2015 02:47, Germán Arduino a écrit :

> <mailto:juan at jvuletich.org>>:
>
>     __
>
>     Well, I don't like the #open method in the model. The idea of View /
>     Model separation is that views know about models, but models don't
>     know about views. A Model should exist independently of being used
>     from Morphic, MVC, Seaside, or any other UI framework. It could
>     live, for example, in a Gemstone database with no UI at all. Or ir
>     could travel to and from other systems, like VA Smalltalk, where the
>     UI framework is completely different from Cuis'.
>

> Interesting, really I never heard of the use of  #open at the model or I
> do not remember it at all, but I think similar to Juan.

Hum, #open has to go somewhere, so...

Either it goes into a sort of Application Model, which regroup the
duties associated with the application (the view + model + whatever is
necessary in environment X), or it goes into an Application View which
then has model concerns in it (it knows how to start or connect to the
model, it knows what the model is composed of to connect subviews to
model elements, etc...).

>     I think it is better for the View to start it all.
>

> +1

I prefer to model an Application concept in the target desktop
environment if I want to model highly portable stuff.

That application concern can be folded into a dedicated view if that is
the preferred convention in the target environment.

Regards,

Thierry