[Cuis] New updates

Luciano Notarfrancesco luchiano at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 09:35:06 CST 2015

Hi all,
About my recent changes, some of them are 1) extensions to Theme to be able
to customize some more aspects of how the windows and widgets look, or 2)
fixes for small bugs that I found on the way, like misalignments of a few
pixels between parts of a widget or a window. The motivation behind this
was just to be able to implement a very minimalist look (borders of just 1
pixel, no decorations, no icons, no anything that I dont need and takes up
screen real estate), and a sort of tiling dynamic window manager very much
like http://dwm.suckless.org (https://github.com/len/Cuis-Smalltalk-DWM).

In order to implement this "window manager" as an external package with
minimal changes to the core system, I decided to: 1) make the current Theme
receive messages #windowOpen: #windowClosed: every time SystemWindows are
open or closed, in order to give it a chance to implement window-management
behaviour or delegate it to a proper window manager; 2) move the
window-management keyboard shortcuts (like alt-w to close) to Theme, so it
is all in one place, easy to change, and easy to make a Theme that
delegates keyboard events to a proper window manager.

Again I did it like this in order to minimize changes to the core system.
At the moment window management is in part implemented in SystemWindow, and
also in HandMorph and Morph. I had to make some small modifications in
order to get the desired behavior when using DWM, and keep the original
behavior in the base system. Maybe in the long run we would want to have a
WindowManager class that do this, handle keyboard events for the
window-management shortcuts and receives #windowOpen: and #windowClosed:,
etc. But I would like to think better about this before adding new concepts
and complexity to the core.

Cheers,
Luciano