[Cuis] cuis on pda

Jerry Bell jdbellomm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 09:44:24 CDT 2012

Thank you Juan!

Yes, I've been pretty quiet.  All my free time has been taken up with
the new baby!

The mention of Windows CE caught my eye.  We have some Windows Mobile
5 and 6 ruggedized PDA devices here that I would like to run Smalltalk
on.   I've read a little about the old WinCE VM and I believe that it
would be possible to build a much better VM for the Windows CE 5.0
based devices.   Mainly, the memory model has changed so it should be
easier to access much larger chunks of memory than before.  Please see
the following link:

http://denniskrabbe.wordpress.com/2009/10/09/windows-mobile-heaps-from-the-large-memory-area/

I haven't decided to pursue this yet for a couple of reasons.  First,
it would involve VM level work which I'm not very comfortable with.
That's not a big deal, as I believe it would be a fun project and I'm
sure I would learn a lot.   Second, and more worrisome, Windows Mobile
5 and 6 seem to be a dead-end platform.   The new Windows Phone stuff
is completey different.   I'm not sure I want to invest a lot of time
and effort into a dead-end platform.

On the other hand, as far as I can tell, these ruggedized "enterprise
digital assistant" devices (like the Symbol / Motorola MC75) will be
using Windows Mobile for the forseeable future, so it might be worth
the effort.   For me, a lot will depend on whether the company I work
for decides to continue using the ruggedized handheld devices, or
switches to iPad or Android tablets with waterproof cases.

In the meantime, I'm interested to hear from anyone who is working on
the WinCE VM!

Jerry