[Cuis] [github] Learning to use github....

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 13:18:03 CST 2012

Hello

I am still in the process of learning how to use github. I understand
it allows for various kinds of setups and workflows.

What I just did is

1) Installed git for Windows   http://msysgit.github.com/
2) Used the 'git bash' command line interface. I think it is easier to
use than the GUI in the end. The GUI is a bit confusing to me, whereas
using the command line and following instructions like
https://help.github.com/articles/fork-a-repo is straightforward

3) I followed the instructions to clone my repository
    https://github.com/hhzl/Cuis

I had forked recently from

    https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis

Then I wanted to get the changes of Juan he did recently.

So I did

    git remote add upstream https://github.com/jvuletich/Cuis.git

    git fetch upstream

    git merge upstream/master

This gave me a local copy of the file

   ListOfCuisPackages.md

German and I had made in the last days and which Juan had added in the
meantime to his repository.

The next thing I would like to figure out how to add a subdirectory
'packages' which is under the control of git and put external *.pck
files I have tested there.

Regards
--Hannes